Congratulations on entering the Natural Healing and Recovery World.
I know you are equal parts excited, nervous, scared and confused. It’s OK to sit with those feelings – we’ve all been there. Welcome. This will be the most challenging and most rewarding experience of your life.
As you discover more and more about how you can improve your child’s expression of life through natural methods and detoxification, you will meet hundreds – if not thousands – of other parents who have entered this world before you. These parents will be able to offer you advice, guidance, ideas and support. However, they are just regular people so you will also encounter a few assholes. Just because we all share this experience doesn’t mean that everyone here qualifies as “your people”. Don’t take this personally, just take note and move on.
After a decade in this lifestyle, I’d like to offer you some “Universal Knowledge” that will help you get started. These fall under the category of “I wish I had known this earlier”.
1. NOTHING in the body/brain/nervous system happens spontaneously. There is always a reason for imbalance. And this imbalance will take time to correct.
2. NO ONE ELSE OTHER THAN YOU is going to be able to determine what that reason is. Yes, it’s going to take time and it’s going to take effort and maybe it’s going to take some money. You need to be not only an advocate for your child but also a medical detective.
3. LEARN TO QUESTION and RESEARCH. Everything you need to know is out there, somewhere, just waiting to be Googled. PubMed is also just sitting there, waiting to give you scientific articles and research.
4. A HEALTHY GUT is the foundation of health. There is no way around this. I know it seems impossible to try to change your child’s diet or to add new foods but that’s your fear talking to you. You lose the fear by gaining knowledge. Learn how a healthy gut is supposed to work and how you can heal it.
5. YOUR FEAR WILL BE EVER PRESENT. You will do well to recognize it, acknowledge it and then move through it with action.
6. DISCERNMENT IS YOUR BEST FRIEND. You will find 100 suggestions for one issue and all of them may be right or none of them may be right. You will need to discern (through knowledge and intuition) which direction will be right for YOUR CHILD.
7. STRESS IS A COMMON THEME. Be it chemical, emotional or physical, stress affects our children and the best way to help them is to reduce stressors so that their brain is able to move out of fight/flight. This applies to you as well.
- CHEMICAL – what you put on your body, what you put in your body, what you inject in your body, what you breathe, what your body produces naturally but is not properly excreting.
- PHYSICAL – Subluxations, unintegrated reflexes, sleep deprivation, hormonal imbalances, leaky gut.
- EMOTIONAL – Fear, anger, worry, frustration etc.
8. THERE IS NO MAGIC BULLET. You will find instances where people claim they did “X” and their child started doing “Y” or even recovered. Those are rare instances. The vast majority of children improve but at varying levels within varying timeframes and with varying interventions.
9. GETTING STARTED:
- TYLENOL is toxic and it damages the liver. If you must use something for a fever, opt for ibuprofen. Do not use Tylenol or acetaminophen.
- THINK: BIOAVAILABLE. That more processed an item (food or supplement), the more the body must work to digest and process it. It also likely contains “non-food” ingredients which tax the liver and kidneys and other detox pathways. Whole foods, fermented foods (for probiotics), herbals for immune support offer the highest bioavailability.
- Remove household chemical cleaners – they are neurotoxic.
- Eliminate artificial food colors from the diet.
- Eliminate MSG from the diet.
- Exercise/move the body every day.
- Eliminate glyphosate (RoundUp) from your yard and your food.
- Eliminate Teflon cookware.
- Read product labels of EVERYTHING you buy – lotions, shampoos, soaps, laundry detergent, furniture, carpet, food, children’s pajamas, mattresses etc.
- Learn how chemicals affect the brain and the nervous system.
- Take care of yourself as much as you are taking care of your child.
Navigate Your Healing offers several step-by-step guides for learning more information and moving forward. In addition, we are available for individual consultation/coaching and we offer several live Master Classes to help you in this mission of helping your child. You can find all of our offerings HERE.
As always, we wish you HOPE, LOVE and HEALING
~ The Amys